Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ready, Set, Garden!

Well, maybe not quite yet, but it is time to start thinking about what you'll be planting this spring.  To that end, click here for a link to a post from Homestead Revival, which in turn has a link to a very handy, downloadable seed starting chart.  Just plug in your last frost date and there you have it - a list of dates for planting a variety of vegetables and herbs.

And courtesy of my brother, click here for a link to Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, a seed company that carries many non-gmo (genetically modified) and heirloom varieties.  I just sent away for a free catalog because I like to have something real that I can flip through and highlight, but orders can also be placed online.

Finally, a while back I made a list of vegetables we most commonly eat, and am planning on planting those this year...and a lot of them.  Varieties we don't eat a whole lot of (e.g., eggplant, because I'm the only one around here who will eat it) I'll probably buy at the farmer's market.  For now.  Since this will be the first year we have a rather large garden, I don't want to overwhelm myself.  Some of the veggies on our list include lettuce, potatoes, peas, tomatoes, basil, beans, cucumbers, peppers, garlic, and broccoli.  And I'd like to try planting some asparagus, which is a perennial.

With frigid temperatures outside, it seems like a strange time to be thinking about gardening, but it will be spring before we know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment