Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Year, a New Name

Happy 2012!  As you may have read, a couple days ago Byron posted that much of the land we use has been in the family for 100 years.  If you missed it, click here to read his post.

To that end, we have decided on a new name for the farm.  While Green Acres seemed kind of fun, kitchy, and appropriate given that Byron's great-grandparents were the Greens, a few months ago he came up with a name that better captures what we are trying to do: Green Legacy Farm.  Our main purpose in embarking on our farming adventure is to steward this land God has blessed us with so that we can both continue a legacy that began 100 years ago and leave something meaningful for future generations. 

As time allows, I am going to give the blog a facelift and look into changing the URL...but I will give plenty of warning.  And trust me, it won't happen right away.  This is going to be a large technological leap for the Luddite that I am, and it will probably involve late nights, tears, and threats to the life of my computer.

But here's something I want to share with you now: our new sign!  This sits at the top of our driveway, and was easier to make than you might think:

I want to go out today just so I can drive up and see this!

Leaving the driveway...
First, we already had the post.  It was dull, black, and in desperate need of a facelift.  It's amazing what a sixty degree day and a can of white spray paint will do!  I cleaned it up with a bit of sandpaper, first.

Next, the mailbox is new, and I spray painted it hunter green to match the color scheme.  The old one had been beaten to death by many a redneck.   I can remember guys from high school talking about bashing mailboxes and running over possums.  Let's pray the new sign (and the local possums) don't have the same fate.

Finally, the sign.  We bought an oval template from Home Depot and cut out a piece of plywood.  Next, I stuffed wood putty around the curved edge to seal any small holes.  After sanding, I primed and painted it white.  Then I printed out the lettering, cut out the letters, arranged them on the sign, and traced them with a pencil.  It took about three coats of green to make the lettering and design solid, but it dried quickly.

I feel like for all the renovation mess we're in right now, this is a glimpse into who we are.  We reused what we could, and for minimal cost ($25, maybe?) created something we're happy with.  And now one project is completely done!

And that, so far, makes for a very happy new year!

Click below to join in Homestead Revival's Barn Hop!

1 comment: