Monday, October 31, 2011

A Twenty-Four Hour Kefir Experiment: Part II

And the results are...

I think it worked!
After adding the grains my friend gave me to a pint of milk, I let the jar sit, covered, on the counter for 24 hours.  When time was up, I strained the milk and was left with these grains...which I can then add to more milk to make more kefir.  The only problem is that I'm not sure how many of these grains I need to add because apparently, they multiply.  So I stuck them in the fridge and will hopefully do some research tonight.

As for the taste...much milder than I thought it would be, and the kids seemed to like it.  I actually think I could grow accustomed to drinking it straight, and will see if Byron thinks it will work for his morning smoothies.

By the way, we Americans pronounce "kefir" as in Keefer Sutherland.  But my dad, who was raised in Egypt, apparently grew up drinking the stuff and pronounces it "keh - fear" with a short "e" in the first syllable.  The second, not first, syllable is accented.  Try saying it.  Sounds exotic, doesn't it?  I don't know about you, but it makes me feel bilingual.  Ooh, la la.

But in the end, I'll probably pronounce it "keefur" as in Sutherland.

Click here for Part I!

No comments:

Post a Comment