Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Grape Syrup Rocks

Today must be a day to be late.  Or maybe that's every day.

I missed the Barn Hop yesterday due to one-year checkups for the kids, meeting another homeschool mom to buy some wonderful homemade soap, and a trip to the airport to pick up my in-laws.  And so I figured it was apropos to post something I had wanted to write about back in September.  Of course, I can blame our old computer for being late on that if I really want to (which I do).

In September, I had the opportunity to pick a bushel of fresh, Concord grapes!  They are heavenly right from the vine, and make wonderful jam and juice as well.  I think I even tried making muffins with them.  But have you ever heard of grape syrup?   Nor had I, until I ran across a recipe in Put 'Em Up! by Sherri Brooks Vinton.

They look amazing, don't they??
The recipe is easier than making jam, and the syrup itself rivals maple syrup.  And remember how I said I can barely bring myself to pay for maple syrup anymore since we made our own?  Well, this may be our solution!

Just boil...
...simmer... (this is simmering, my style.  Stuff always seems to get away from me!)
...and blend!
So without further ado...

Grape Syrup
(adapted from Put 'Em Up! by Sherri Brooks Vinton)
4 c grapes, stemmed
1 c sugar (I used 1/2 c)
1/2 c water

Combine grapes, sugar, and water in a large pan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat, cool, and run through a food mill (I used my high-tech blender).

This lasts in the fridge for about 3 weeks, or can be frozen for 6 months.  I found these PBA-free containers and froze about 14 cups' worth (I multiplied this recipe by 5 to get that amount):


I tried some for the first time yesterday morning and this rivals maple syrup for sure!
So apologies that this post is too late in the season for you to make your own.  But I've given you something to look forward to, right??  So bookmark it, write it down, or print it out for next year...you'll be pleasantly surprised!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! We're still enjoying our 'accidental' strawberry syrup (the flopped strawberry jam). It's great stirred in oatmeal or over ice cream!

    ReplyDelete