Friday, September 14, 2012

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Maybe by then the dust will have settled a bit.

But in the meantime, here's a small peek into what we've been up to:

Making applesauce.  I think I had the heat too high in the pressure canner for this round, though I'm open to suggestions.

Freezing a bushel of corn, and now persimmons.


Inventing weapons.

Remember "business in the front, party in the back?"  Byron's beautiful landscaping, completed this summer.

Baby chick, growing up.

Our biggest change, and a tough decision...sending Akea to public school.  She's adjusting well.
This may not seem like much, but somehow, days are full with homeschooling Charlie, wrestling with finicky bell waterers, baking, cooking, more baking, preserving, homework, cleaning.

I'm linking up with Rural Thursdays and Farmgirl Fridays.

5 comments:

  1. I can't tell but it looks like your jars cracked around the base. If so that indicates a temperature difference as in what was in the jar was not as hot as the water heating up in the canner or some similar thing. Had the jars cracked vertically it would be pressure in the jar.
    I loose most of mine to temperature until I just started heating everything up before going in the canner. Most of my trouble was with quarts as they must be more sensitive to temperature differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's great to know, since they are cracked around the bottom. I did have everything heated up, but maybe something was a bit cooler/hotter than it should have been.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a very busy time for you -- not sure about the broken jars. I'm always careful about drafts when I can, but I don't think that was your problem.

    Thanks so much for sharing at RT this week, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a jar break like that before - I assumed it was already damaged in some way.

    I'd be interested to hear more about the decision for a change to public school. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your day with us on Farmgirl Friday!
    We homeschool too...We are in our eleventh year and our daughter just started highschool at a public charter school for her freshmen year... She is loving it... and I'm happy for her... I had her home for a long, long time and it was wonderful but it's her time to fly!

    ReplyDelete