Monday, March 12, 2012

The Fruit (and Vegetables) of Our Labor

Back in September, I posted about the food we'd put up for winter.  Click here to take a peek.  I was trying to organize my cabinets a bit the other day, and thought I'd tally what we have left, figuring that would give me a good idea of what I need to can/grow/freeze either more or less of for next year.  So here goes:

Canning
Apple Butter
: 8 pints (began with 16)
Apple Sauce: 12 quarts (began with 27)
Grape Jam: 5 pints (began with 8 pints, 1 half-pint)
Peaches: 11 quarts (began with 28 quarts)
Peach Jam: 8 half-pints, 5 pints (began with 10 half-pints, 5 pints)
Pickles: 10 pints (began with 23 pints)
Strawberry Jam: 3 pints, 2 half-pints (began with 4 pints, 4 half-pints)
Tomatoes: 5 quarts (began with 12 quarts)
Tomato Bruscetta: 4 half-pints (began with 9 half-pints)
Tomato Sauce: 1 pint, 1 half-pint (began with 7 half-pints, 2 pints)

Freezer
Chicken: We have 4 left, and have had to buy some until our broilers are ready in mid-July.
Corn: 1 1/2 gallon size bags (began with 6)
Green Beans: 4 gallon size bags (began with 7)
Grapes: GONE
Grape Syrup: 4 2-cup containers (began with 7)
Peaches: GONE
Pesto: I still have a ton of pesto, and the thought of counting all those little cubes terrifies me.  Italian dinner at my house, anyone??
Pumpkins: Still have about 6 cups or so frozen.  I've been using it in bread, and in cookies over the holidays.
Tomatoes: 3 gallon size bags
Zucchini (shredded):  8 6-cup bags (began with 11)

Other
Butternut Squash:  I have two left.  I had 16, but gave a couple away and some didn't do so well in storage so I gave them to the chickens.

Conclusion
I made WAY too much jelly.  Despite using it in yogurt and in pancakes.  Despite pawning some off on friends and relatives for Christmas.  And pesto...way too much pesto.  Also, because it was my first time making pickles, they didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.  However, my daughter, of all people, loves them.  The shredded zucchini I've been using for breads, but I think I put up much more than we needed.

I still find myself buying some fresh vegetables and fruit over the winter, so we didn't get into the canned stuff as much as I would have thought.  I think if I work on a little more variety - and a cold frame in the garden - that will help matters.

The pasta sauce I made turned out really well and was very convenient for our weekly homemade pizza nights.  I also plan on freezing much more fruit since Byron makes smoothies every morning and I've had to buy and freeze bananas to compensate.  I know, I know.  I'm a sellout.

I'm linking up with Homestead Revival's AND The Prairie Homestead's Barn Hops!  Click on either link to check out these, and other, fantastic blogs.

4 comments:

  1. How awesome that you were able to put up that much last year! I really need to work on putting up more fruit. We buy way too much during the winter months. Thanks for sharing your food stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I found you! That info you gave is wonderful. I am always wondering what people are canning and freezing, what works well and what doesn't etc. Thank you so much! I sued to do this for a family of 6 and now it's just me so I'm needing to "scale down" but still want to grow my own and can/freeze etc. I'm a "follower" now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inviting you the Carnival of Home Preserving on my blog today and every Friday. Hope to see you there. Laura Williams’ Musings http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2012/06/carnival-of-home-preserving-13-come.html

    ReplyDelete